(King James 1611 translation):
Anaphora; Epistrophe; Firmament; Masoretic Text; Nephilim;
Parallelism; Personification; Septuagint; the “P,"
"J," and "E," texts of Genesis
Identify the following Characters
or Creatures: God, the sons
of God, the nephilim, Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Seth,
Noah, Ham, Shem, Japheth
English translation are we using in our textbook excerpts?
What year was this translation first published?
Lecture or Handouts: What
does the word Adam mean in Hebrew? How does this
connect to a pun concerning Adamah? What does the
word Eve mean in Hebrew? Where is the modern day
mountain Ararat located? Why do Biblical scholars think
that the modern day mountain cannot be the same as the one
described in the Biblical account?
- Which came first in the Genesis narrative, the passing
of the first day and the first night? Or the creation
of the sun and moon? Why is that a little odd?
- In the Genesis narrative, what does God create to divide
the “waters” from “the waters”
on the second day before creates dry land?
- Which does God create first in the Genesis narrative:
birds that fly above the earth? Or land-creatures like
cattle and others that “creepeth upon the earth”?
- What does God see about the quality or nature of his
handiwork at the end of the first, second, third, fourth,
and fifth days? How is this statement different than Genesis’s
statement about his creation on the sixth day?
- According to (Genesis 2:4-3:24), how does the earth
outside of Eden receive its water to nourish the ground?
- According to the geography of Genesis, a single river
flows out of Eden and then splits into four different
rivers. These four rivers are given names. Out of the
five rivers listed below, which one does NOT appear in
the Genesis account? (a) Pison, (b) Gihon, (3) Hiddekel,
(4) Mesopotamis, or (5) the Euphrates.
- According to God’s first commandment given to
man, what will happen to man on the day he eats of the
fruit? Does that happen on that day?
- In the Genesis narrative, from what substance does God
- In the Genesis narrative, from what material does God
- What is the serpent cursed to eat for the rest of its
days in the Genesis account?
- What type of angel is placed as guard outside of Eden
to prevent man from returning to Paradise? What does this
- What profession or job does Abel have? What profession
or job does Cain have?
- According to God, what cries out to him from the ground
that lets God know Cain has sinned?
- Where does Cain go after being cursed by God?
- According to Genesis 6:1-9:29), what creatures or beings
find the daughters of men attractive, and interbreed with
them? What are the children like who are born of this
- According to Genesis, what are the names of Noah’s
- According to Genesis, about how long is the ark? (Note
that a single cubit is probably about 18 inches, or 1.5
- How many pairs of each clean species does Noah bring
on the Ark? How many pairs of each unclean species?
- In the Genesis account, why can’t the raven Noah
sends out at first find a place to land?
- What does the dove bring back in its beak after Noah
sends it out? How many days has it been since the waters
dried up to allow this plant to grow since the last bird
was sent out before the raven?
- God makes a covenant with “every living creature”
for “perpetual generations” not to destroy
the earth with a flood again. What does God set in the
sky as a reminder of this covenant?
- According to the Genesis account, who is supposed to
see this covenant and remember the bargain?
- In Genesis 6:1, what limit does God place on human longevity?
- What embarassing activity does Noah engage in after
planting a vineyard? How does Ham react to this situation?
How do Shem and Japheth react to it? What curse does Noah
place on Canaan, the son of Ham?
(Genesis 11:1 through Genesis 11:9)
- According to Genesis, what are two reasons men want
to build the tower?
- What reason does God give for stopping this building
project and then scattering them across the face of
earth? Why does this seem strange from an omnipotent
- According to Genesis, how did the city of Babel get
its name? What does the word Babel probably mean
- What does the word Babel mean in Hebrew?
Sample Quotation Identification:
A. “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his
mother, and shall cleave unto his wife, and they shall
B. “Because thou hast done this,
Thou art cursed above all cattle,
And above every beast of the field.
Upon thy belly shalt thou go
And dust shall thou eat
All the days of thy life. . . .”
C. “I know not: am I my brother’s keeper?”
D. “I will not again curse the ground any more for
man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart
is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any
every living thing, as I have done. While the earth remaineth,
seedtime and harvest and cold and heat, and summer and
and day and night shall not cease.”
E. “I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be
for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And
it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth,
that a bow shall be seen in the cloud: and I will remember
my covenant. . . . and I will look upon it, that I may
remember the everlasting covenant. . . .”
F. “Behold, the people is one, and they have all
one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing
will be restrained from them, which they have imagined
do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language,
that they may not understand one another’s speech.”