Copyright Dr. L.
Kip Wheeler 1998-2017. Permission is granted for non-profit,
educational, and student reproduction. Last updated December 18, 2017. Contact: email@example.com Please
e-mail corrections, suggestions, or comments to help me improve this
site. Click here
for credits, thanks,
and additional copyright information.
328 Study Questions: Kolln Chapter Two:
Vocabulary (see pages 369-84 of Kolln):
adjectival, adjective, adverb, adverbial, article, be patterns,
command, comparative degree, complement, compound structure,
coordinating conjunction, correlative conjunction, demonstrative
pronoun, determiner, direct object, headword, imperative
sentence, indirect object, intransitive verb, linking verb,
noun, noun phrase, object complement, optional slot, particle,
past tense, phrasal verb, phrase, plural, possessive case,
predicate, predicating verb, preposition, prepositional
phrase, pronoun, qualifier, reciprocal pronoun, referent,
reflexive pronoun, sentence pattern, subject, subject complement,
superlative degree, transitive verb, verb, verb phrase
- Provide an example of a noun phrase.
- What two inflections do nouns have, according to Kolln?
- What is a headword?
- What is a determiner?
- Provide an example of a verb phrase.
- What is another name for an auxiliary verb?
- What suffix is the most common marker of an adverb?
- Note that you do not need to memorize each sentence
pattern according to its number. For example,
I won't give you a sentence and say "Which number
matches the pattern of this sentence?" However,
I may provide an example of a a pattern and ask you
to label the parts inside it. For instance, "'The
Vikings are invaders' is a type 2 sentence--what are
the components of a type 2 sentence?"
- What's the difference between a transitive and intransitive
verb? Provide an example of each one clearly labeled.
- What is the difference between a reflexive pronoun
and a reciprocal pronoun? Provide an example of each
one clearly labeled.
- What is an object complement, and what makes it different
than a direct object or indirect object? Provide an
- What is an imperative sentence? Provide an example.
- No single comma can fall where?
- Be able to diagram sentences