Copyright Dr. L.
Kip Wheeler 1998-2017. Permission is granted for non-profit,
educational, and student reproduction. Last updated January 5, 2017. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Please
e-mail corrections, suggestions, or comments to help me improve this
site. Click here
for credits, thanks,
and additional copyright information.
451 Study Questions for
Chaucer's Friar's Tale
anti-fraternal satire, mendicant orders, summoner
Useful Middle English terms: whilom (once
upon a time), espiaille
(spy network), degree (rank)
Why were friars and summoners and pardoners economic
in the Middle Ages?
the Friar, the Summoner, the archdeacon, the widow, the
Prologue of the Friar's Tale," lines 1265-1300)
- What advice does the Friar give to the Wife? (i.e.,
to what should she limit herself when it comes to storytelling?)
- What advice does Harry give to the Friar before he
launches his tale?
- Why does the Summoner say its okay for the Friar to
slander him in his story?
The Friar's Tale
- What crimes does the archdeacon punish harshly?
- To whom does the archdeacon do "the grettest wo"?
- We read that the summoner has his "espiaille"
across England. What is t his "espiaille"?
- The summoner, we read, will release "oon
or "two" lechors in order to catch what?
- Who or what interrupts the Friar's Tale in lines
1332 and onward?